Custom name servers can be used to customize how your registered domain name information is displayed
ie. your nameserver could be listed as ns1.yourdomainname.ie
If you are a VPS customer, you can set up your own custom nameservers by using the VPS as both the primary and secondary nameserver. That is done as follows:
1) Firstly you need to add another IP address to your VPS. To do so please refer to the instructions here. Then take note of the IP address you have added and refer back to this article to complete setting up your custom nameservers.
2) Assuming by now you have followed the above link to add another IP address;
To set up your custom nameservers in Plesk:
- Ensure that you are in the Websites & Domains tab. If you are not in this tab already, you can navigate there by choosing Websites & Domains from the list on the left of the screen.
- Click on DNS Settings
- Click on Add Record
- Add an NS type record as outlined below. Repeat the process, changing ns1 to ns2 the second time.
- Once both NS records have been created, remove any other NS Records that exist.
This will mean that you can now set any new domains you set up on your VPS to use ns1.domainname.com and ns2.domainname.com as your nameservers
3) You will also need to set up A records for ns1.domainname.com and ns2.domainname.com on the nameservers that the domain in question is using as is outlined below.
Please note that any custom nameservers will need to be registered as nameservers. This is done wherever you registered the domain.
If Blacknight is the domain registrar please contact us as described below, you will need the hostnames you want to use (ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com) and the IP address of each.
As always, should you require more assistance in relation to this issue, please contact our Helpdesk explaining your issue - and what you have done to this point, and we will be happy to assist you further.
Please see our full contact information, on our main website: Contact Us.
Alternatively, email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.