If your website has been compromised you should carry out the following steps right away in case access is being gained from malware on your computer(s).
It is important that steps 1. & 2. are completed first before updating any passwords.
1. Run Anti Malware & Anti-Virus software on the computers you use to access https://cp.blacknight.com and your websites.
2. Delete/Remove any threats found.
4. Change/update password on https://cp.blacknight.com
5. Change/Update all FTP passwords via https://cp.blacknight.com
6. Ensure that all your websites software/components/plugins & scripts are up to date,
7. If your website uses a content management system with a login, update all passwords.
(It is also advisable to change any usernames, where the username is "admin".)
Strong passwords are typically a minimum of 12 characters including at least one uppercase letter and 1 number.
- WordPress installations: Ensure you apply all core, plugin & theme updates from your WordPress Dashboard regularly.
- Joomla Installations: Ensure you have updated to Joomla 3.2.4 or later.
Joomla 1.x are no longer supported but the Joomla community and Joomla 2.x will reach end of life on December 31, 2014. You need to migrate all 1.x & 2.5.x installs to the latest stable release of Joomla. See: How do I upgrade from Joomla! 1.5 to 3.x ? for more information on migrating your Joomla website.
Installations of content management systems such as WordPress and Joomla that are no longer in use should be removed from your hosting package completely.
The above steps should be applied to all websites on your hosting package.
Article is closed for comments.