SSL is an acronym for Secure Sockets Layer, a global standard security technology developed by Netscape in 1994. It creates an encrypted link between a web server and a web browser. The link ensures that all data passed between the web server and browser remains private and secure and is recognised by millions of consumers by a secure padlock which appears in their browser.
The SSL protocol is used by millions of e-Business providers to protect their customers ensuring their online transactions remain confidential. In order to be able to use the SSL protocol, a web server requires the use of an SSL certificate. Certificates are provided by Certification Authorities (CA) who in most cases also offer additional products and services to aid e-Businesses to demonstrate that they are trustworthy. Consumers have grown to associate the 'golden padlock', that appears within their browser display, as an indication of trust in the web site. This simple fact allows e-Business providers an opportunity to leverage that increased trust level to turn visitors into paying customers - so long as you know which type to choose. Taken from Which SSL
When should you use SSL?
- If you sell products on your website.
- If your visitors submit sensitive information on your website.
- If you offer memberships or users are required to login.
Benefits of SSL
- Google are now giving a small rankings boost to sites using SSL.
- Trust - When logging in, make a purchase or pay an invoice online, look for the green padlock or 'https' on the page you enter your personal information, this reassures you that the information you enter will be encrypted and safe to continue.
- Security - SSL is another form of website security. Having your username and password details encrypted when logging into your website backend is another security measure to protect your private information.
How do I get an SSL?
Once you establish which SSL is right for your website, you can order an SSL online. If you have any questions about selecting the right SSL, please contact our sales team who will be happy to advise you.