IE Domain Document Guide
From March 21st 2018, the requirements to register a .ie domain have changed.
What are the Requirements for Registering a .IE Domain Name?
- The only requirement for registering a .IE domain name is that you can demonstrate a real connection to Ireland.
How do I demonstrate a real connection to Ireland?
A connection to Ireland is a requirement for registering a .IE domain name. This can be shown in a number of ways:
- For Irish citizens: an Irish photo id: passport, driving license, PPS card or birth certificate
- For Irish residents: proof of residency such as an official document, bank statement, letter from Revenue etc.
- For companies registered in Ireland: a company registration number from the Companies Registration Office, or a Registered Business Name, or a VAT number.
- Companies which are not registered in Ireland are eligible if they can show that they are trading with clients in Ireland. Evidence such as invoices, press releases or previously published marketing material aimed at the Irish market would be acceptable, or a letter from a solicitor, accountant or bank manager, confirming your current trade with Ireland, or your intention to do so.
- Companies, partnerships and individuals who are holders of Irish or EU Community registered trademark are also eligible.
This article from our helpdesk lists the most common forms of documentation which are usually accepted for different categories of applicant for a .IE domain name. In some cases, the IE domain registry may request additional information in cases where your personal or commercial identification cannot be easily verified from the documentation.
My connection is with Northern Ireland – do I qualify for a .IE domain name?
- Yes. Ireland means Ireland, North and South, 32 counties, including the territories known as the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Will I have to prove my Irish connection each time I register a .IE domain name?
- No. Once your connection has been proven, you won’t need to show this again should you decide to register more .IE domains. All you need to do is to provide your existing .IE domain on the order form.
I’m unsure if I am eligible for a .IE Domain Name
- That’s no problem: Blacknight staff are .IE experts! Please contact us and we’ll be happy to advise you.
How do I send documents for my IE Application:
- You can upload any documentation for your application via upload link> bk.ie/docs or email documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Article is closed for comments.