This article assumes that you have downloaded and installed SQL Server Express and SQL Server Management Studio on your server. You can an article on installing SQL Express and Management studio here.
You can add a database by:
- Once logged into your VPS, open the Start menu and select All Programs > SQL Server Management Studio Express
- On the login screen that appears, click Connect.
- In the Object Explorer on the right hand side, right click the Databases container and select New Database.
- Enter the name of your database and any other configuration required.
- Your database connection information is displayed on the bottom left of this screen.
- Once your database is added, it will appear in the Databases container mentioned above.
- You view its table and settings by browsing to this location via the Object Explorer.
Method to add administrator rights
Open CMD prompt
cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\Binn
NET stop MSSQL$MSSQLSERVER
sqlservr.exe -ssqlexpress -m
Login to management studio with localhost\administrator and add sysadmin role to administrator and then set mixed mode as well if required
Within CMD press ctrl+c and enter y
Now start MSSQL using
NET start MSSQL$MSSQLSERVER
You can now login as administrator with full access