A CNAME Record is a type of DNS Record that points to an A Record.
For example, hello.example.com could point to contact.example.com
The following covers how to set up a new CNAME record our older cp.blacknight.com panel. If you need to do this on cp.blacknighthosting.com (for any domains on accounts created after June 2022) please see here:
First, sign in to your Blacknight account. If you need help with this step, click here
To add a CNAME record
- In the top navigation bar, click on Websites.
- From the list of websites, click on the one you wish to add the CNAME record to.
- Under the domain name, click on DNS.
- Click on DNS Records → Add New DNS Record.
- For DNS Record Type, select CNAME.
- Under DNS Record Properties, Domain refers to the new record you wish to create, and Canonical name refers to the existing A Record you wish to point to.
- TTL can be left as default.
- Click finish to save the new Record.
Please note, it may take up to 3 hours for DNS changes to propagate.
As always, should you require more assistance in relation to this issue, please contact our Helpdesk explaining your issue - and what you have done to this point, and we will be happy to assist you further. Please see our full contact information, on our main website: Contact Us.
Alternatively, email email@example.com for assistance.