As of January 1, 2014, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) has mandated that all ICANN accredited registrars begin verifying the WHOIS contact information for all new domain registrations and contact modifications.
If your name has been suspended, it would be for one of the following reasons:
- It is a new registration and a contact email address associated with it has not been verified.
- A contact email address has recently been modified, but it was never verified.
- A contact email address has never been verified.
What can I do to ensure my domain does not become suspended?
To ensure your domain remains active, it is important to keep your whois contact details up to date.
You can check the contact details currently associated with your domain here: http://whoowns.it/
How Do I update my Whois details?
If you wish to update the Whois details for the domain, you must update the details of the User Profile associated with the domain. Updating the Blacknight account settings will not affect existing Whois details.
To update an Existing contact:
You can see which user profile is a associated with your domain in your Blacknight Control Panel:
- Click the Account Tab
- Click Registered Domains
- Click on the Domain Name
- Under Contacts, you will see the user profile associated with the domain for the Owner, Admin, Billing & Tech contacts (Note these can all be different user profiles)
- To edit an existing contact, click the Contact Name, then click Edit
- Once updated navigate back to the Domain Name information Page
- Click Manage Contacts
- Then Click Update Contacts
This will push out the updates to the Whois Database. Note that this will update all domains that are associated with that user profile.
The most important step is clicking the "Update Contacts" button as this publishes the changes to the whois. If you don't click the "Update Contacts" button, the whois information will not change. Also, please bear in mind that it can take 24-72 hours for the changes to appear in the whois for you domain.
To Add a New User Profile with new contact information:
You may need to create a new user with the details you wish to have on the whois before you change the contacts. You can do this as follows:
- Click the Account Tab
- Click Admins
- Add New Admin
- enter the details you wish to appear on the whois output
Then to add the new user you created to the domain:
- Account Tab
- Registered Domains
- Click on domain name
- Manage Contacts
- Click on magnifying glass beside each contact
- Select the new user you created
- Update Contacts
How does Blacknight verify my details?
Currently Blacknight validate a domain holders detail via email.
Validation emails are triggered and sent to the relevant contact in a number of scenarios:
- When a new domain is registered
- When the contact of a domain is updated
- If the domain has a contact that has yet to be verified prior to January 2014.
There will be instructions in this validation email that you can follow to validate your domain details.
My Domain has been suspended, what should I do?
If your domain has become suspended you can do the below to reactivate it.
- Check your domains whois details here: http://whoowns.it/
- If your details are correct, check the inbox of the email address listed as Admin contact for your domain. We would have issued you an email asking you to verify your domain name
- If your details are not correct, update your whois details as per the above instructions, a new validation email will be issued to you.
- At any time you can contact Blacknight on 1850 929 929 or by email at email@example.com