That depends. We would recommend that you use SSL if you are collecting any personal data. SSL ensures that all data transmitted is encrypted which makes the data transmission more secure (safer). If you are using a 3rd party gateway for payment processing you do not need an SSL certificate, although it is still recommended
When should you use SSL?
- If you sell products on your website.
- If your visitors submit sensitive information on your website.
- If you offer memberships or users are required to login.
Benefits of SSL
- Google are now giving a small rankings boost to sites using SSL.
- Trust - When logging in, make a purchase or pay an invoice online, look for the green padlock or 'https' on the page you enter your personal information, this reassures you that the information you enter will be encrypted and safe to continue.
- Security - SSL is another form of website security. Having your username and password details encrypted when logging into your website backend is another security measure to protect your private information.
How do I get an SSL?
Once you establish which SSL is right for your website, you can order an SSL online. If you have any questions about selecting the right SSL, please contact our sales team who will be happy to advise you.